Thinking of starting a new website? Don’t be hasty about selecting a domain name especially if you’re using it to start a business. Sure you can forward the domain if you ever decide to change it, but you’re risking losing a lot of name recognition if you go that route. Before you decide to register a new domain name, make sure to take a peek at some of these 8 helpful tips.
- Do your keyword research. Keywords in a domain can go a long way towards helping your site rank well organically, but you don’t want to make it too generic. You want a memorable name!
- Don’t make the domain name too long. Once again, you want it to be a memorable name!
- Try to use easy-to-use words. There’s no reason to complicate things for users trying to visit your site.
- Don’t be afraid to purchase multiple tlds (i.e .com and .net) for your domain so nobody else does.
- Tell your friends and family what domain you want to register. Do they find it creative and are they able to spell it easily?
- Avoid hyphens at all costs. It’s common for users to forget to add them when typing in your address.
- It’s always a good idea to do a Trademark search to make sure you don’t run into any future legal problems.
- Make sure to keep an eye on the expiration date for your domain. Don’t let all of your hard work get scooped up by a competitor!